Service Dogs by SDWR is the nation’s leading provider of Service Dogs to the Invisible Disabilities community. Invisible Disabilities are defined such as Diabetes, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Seizure Disorder, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. SDWR has over 500 service dogs working across the United States and around the globe. Currently, the Organization is working with approximately 1,000 families either with a service dog from the Organization or actively fundraising for a service dog from the Organization.
Overview: Job based out of Virginia. Must be able to commit to face to face interaction 1-2 times each week.
The Events Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Additional responsibilities include assisting the President and directors with event planning and logistics management for the mission of SDWR and its programs. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. Additionally, the organization is looking to investigate the possibilities of expanding its operations through the building or purchase of a larger facility. This position requires event logistics experience and planning, management, and coordination of a minimum of three fundraising events for the organization annually. The Events Director would be the key individual for bringing together the necessary resources to develop, launch and execute a capital campaign to meet this organizational goal. The position reports directly to the President.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the Organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support SDWR’s mission.
- Works with the President and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for the enhancement of SDWR’s image by being active and visible in the local community as well as national stage by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for direct communications with National constituents, policy-makers, and legislators.
- Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Work closely with the President and directors to design, budget, manage and execute fundraisers to achieve maximum goals in fundraising, brand awareness, advocacy.
- Work closely with President and Director of Training to schedule and execute all needs to attend walkathons, community fairs, public awareness/outreach type events, other fundraising and special events as needed.
- Management of logistics planning, coordination and reporting on annual fundraisers for the Organization.
- Work with President and Director of Training to ensure that all event guidelines and requirements are met.
- Coordinate volunteers to assist in representing SDWR at events as needed.
- Coordinate all administrative needs for each event, including calendars, budget reporting, tracking of expenditures or income.
- Make recommendations to President to achieve significant growth and efficiency in Organization’s annual fundraising events.
- Assist the President on an ongoing basis for general development, event management responsibilities and strategic planning as needed.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff for events department.
Responsible for annual employee performance reviews for events department.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years marketing or events planning experience
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of SDWR’s strategic future to staff departmental leaders, President and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Planning and operation of annual events for revenue ranging from $2.3 to $3.5 million dollars.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and on a national level to utilize those relationships to strategically enhance SDWR’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the President and other department leaders. Supervise, collaborate with Organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Capital campaign development, oversight, and initiation.
- Oversee PR, marketing, and other communications efforts of the events department.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a friendly, helpful tone on the phone and in emails.
- Eagerness to learn more about non-profit development and supporting Invisible Disabilities/Service Dog awareness, education and advocacy initiatives.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, manage time and multi-task.
- Ability to work independently
- Good problem-solving skills
- Experience in fundraising a plus
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets and report on projected income and expenses of projects and fundraising initiatives
- Experience and knowledge in MAC, Excel, Salesforce,
- Donor Drive, Campaign Monitor & Gmail.
- Experience with Salesforce a plus, but not required.
- Ability to travel, work after normal business hours and on some weekends as necessary.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please fill out this preliminary application, resumes can be uploaded at the bottom of the application.
No phone calls will be accepted.