Nutrition & Preventative Medicine
Coconut Oil BenefitsCoconut oil has several benefits for your dog. It gently elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects your dog from illness, and speeds healing. As a bonus, coconut oil can improve dog’s skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions. HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT
- Clears up eczema
- Aids flea allergies, contact dermatitis and itchy skin
- Minimizes doggy odor
- Reduces allergic reactions
- Creates sleek and glossy coats
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- When applied topically coconut oil promotes wound healing
- Also can help with hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Improves digestion
- Increases nutrient absorption
- Helps with colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath
- Helps with coughing
- Assists with weight loss
- Powerful antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal agents
- Balances insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
- Aids arthritis and ligament problems
- Helps prevent infection and disease
- Aids in increasing energy
HOW MUCH COCONUT OIL FOR DOGSHow much coconut oil should you give your dog? When starting your dog on coconut oil, it is absolutely vital that you start slow. Begin slow, start with a tiny amount. Your dog needs to take time for their body to adjusts to the addition to their diet. If you start with larger amount of coconut oil, your dog could react poorly. Side effects can include diarrhea or greasy stools.
START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS
After their bodies have adjusted a general guideline for the daily amount to give your dog is :
- ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs and puppies.
- 1 teaspoon for large dogs, or even just a dab if your dog's constitution is sensitive.
- About 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily
- Or about 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds
Things for Your Dog to ChewDogs chew for a variety of reasons: teething, boredom, stress, learning about their environment. You need to teach your dog what is appropriate to chew on during those times by giving an appropriate chew toy when you catch your dog chewing on the something he is not supposed to, i.e. the table leg, couch, kids’ toys, etc. The following are great options for chewing.
- Filled Femur Bones
- Bully Sticks
- Ice Cubes
- Yogurt – vanilla, strawberry, blueberry, plain
- 100% Canned Pumpkin
- Sweet Potato
- Canned Dog Food
- Baby Food
- Peanut Butter
- Pureed Fruits
- Pureed Vegetables
- Cottage Cheese
- The difference between the various flea/tick preventatives are do they kill or kill and repel fleas and ticks and are they effective against other parasites. Only two of the preventatives kill and repel fleas and ticks, as well as other parasites: K9 Advantix II and Vectra 3D.
- Kills & Repels: Prevents fleas and ticks from getting onto your dog which prevents the transmission of diseases (lymes disease from ticks) and infestations.
- Only Kills: Fleas and ticks can get onto your animal and reproduce, transmit diseases or cause infestations. The products that only kill once the parasite is on your animal allows fleas to reproduce and cause an infestation in your home and allows ticks to bite transmitting diseases.
- Other parasites:
- Mosquitoes transmit heartworm disease. Therefore the products that repel mosquitoes used along with heartworm preventative have your dog doubly protected.
- Mites are only killed and repelled by Vectra 3D. This does not include mange mites. Mites cause excessive itching, dandruff flakes, and more seriously infection from the scratching.
- Biting and sand flies can transmit diseases, cause infections and are irritating to your dog.
- Lice live on the skin of the dog feeding on either the skin or blood. Lice can cause excessive itching, dandruff flakes and hair loss.
FLEA & TICK PREVENTATIVE OPTIONS: Description Ingredient(s) Fleas Ticks Mosquitoes Mites Biting Flies Lice K9 Advantix II Monthly Topical Imidacloprid Permethrin Pyriproxyfen Kills & Repels all life stages Kills & Repels Kills & Repels N/A Repels Kills Frontline Plus Monthly Topical Fipronil (S)-methoprene Kills all life stages Kills N/A N/A N/A Kills Advantage II Monthly Topical Imidacloprid Pyriproxyfen Kills all life stages N/A N/A N/A N/A Kills NexGard Monthly Soft Chew Afoxolaner Kills adult fleas Kills N/A N/A N/A N/A Vectra 3D Monthly Topical Dinotefuran Pyriproxifen Permethrin Kills & Repels Kills & Repels Kills & Repels Kills & Repels Kills & Repels Kills & Repels Comfortis Monthly Tablet Spinosad Kills adult fleas N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A FirstShield Monthly Topical Dineotefuran Pyriproxyfen Permethrin Kills & Repels all life stages Kills & Repels Kills & Repels N/A N/A N/A Bravecto 12 Week Soft Chew Fluralaner Kills adult fleas Kills N/A N/A N/A N/A
- With families living all over the continent, your vet will be able to tell what products are most effective in your area. The cost of these preventative products can be a factor. Personally, I have seen flea/tick preventative range from $60.00 to over $100.00 for a 6 month supply. Some companies also offer rebates when purchasing 6 or 12 months of preventative that can help with the cost. Also, depending on where you live, ticks or other parasites may not be an issue. The following information is a reference for you to use when discussing the options with your veterinarian.
Heartworms are spread by mosquitoes. When an infected mosquito bites a dog, the worm is transmitted and moves to the heart, lungs and blood vessels of the dog. It can take up to 6 months for blood work to show that a dog is heartworm positive. If untreated, heartworms can be fatal.
Whipworms look like tiny pieces of thread with on enlarged end and are transmitted by ingesting contaminated soil.
Tapeworms look like flat connected rice-like segments and are transmitted by ingesting contaminated fleas or ingesting contaminated animals. Can only be transmitted to humans by ingesting a contaminated flea.
Hookworms look like small thin worms and are transmitted through ingesting or walking on contaminated soil or feces. Can be transmitted to humans by ingesting contaminated soil or through the skin.
Roundworms look like spaghetti and are transmitted from ingesting contaminated soil or feces or ingesting contaminated animals. Can be transmitted to humans by ingesting contaminated soil.
HEARTWORM PREVENTATIVE OPTIONS: Description Ingredient(s) Whipworms Tapeworms Hookworms Roundworms Fleas Other Heartgard Plus Monthly Oral Soft Chew Ivermectin Pyrantel Pamoate No No Yes Yes No No Iverhart Max Monthly Oral Tablet Ivermectin Pyrantel Pamoate Praziquantel No Yes Yes Yes No No Sentinel Monthly Oral Tablet MilbemycinOxime Lufenuron Yes No Yes Yes Yes No Sentinel Spectrum Monthly Oral Tablet MilbemycinOxime Lufenuron Praziquantel Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Revolution Monthly Topical Selamectin No No No No Yes Ticks, Mites Advantage Multi Monthly Topical Moxidectin Imidocloprid Yes No Yes Yes Yes No Trifexis Monthly Oral Tablet MilbemycinOxime Spinosad Yes No Yes Yes Yes No ProHeart Bi-Annual Injection Moxidectin No No Yes No No No
- Adult dogs need some vaccines annually while others can go for 3 years. This depends on your veterinary. Some states only provide a 1-year rabies vaccine while others proved a 3-year option. Here are the shots you must keep up to date:
Leptospirosis: include leptospirosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs.
Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern. Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs.
Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (time interval between vaccinations may vary according to local law).