Job based out of Virginia ONLY.
Service Dogs by Warren Retriever’s is the nation’s leading provider of Service Dogs to the Invisible Disabilities community. Invisible Disabilities are defined as Diabetes, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Seizure Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Service Dogs by Warren Retrievers, “SDWR,” has over 500 service dogs working across the United States and around the globe. Currently, the Organization is working with approximately 1,000 families either with a service dog from the Organization or in the process of receiving a service dog from the Organization.
The Executive Director is the key management leader of SDWR. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the Organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. Additionally, the Organization is looking to investigate the possibilities of expanding its operations through the building or purchase of a larger facility. The Executive Director would be the key individual for bringing together the necessary resources to develop, launch and execute a capital campaign to meet this Organizational goal. The position reports directly to the President of the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the Organization mission.
- Responsible for leading a full and part time staff of approximately 20 individuals in a manner that supports and guides the Organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the Organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Service Dogs by Warren Retrievers, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the Organization. As well as year-end projections of fiscal health and project-based accounting.
- Responsible for coordinating and overseeing the audit process which ensures the Organization’s federal and state requirements as a non-profit organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the Organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Service Dogs by Warren Retriever’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of SDWR’s programs that carry out the Organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that SDWR can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of SDWR’s image by being active and visible in the local community as well as national stage by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for direct communications with National constituents, policy-makers, foundation board of directors, and legislators.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of SDWR operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for annual employee performance reviews.
- Co-signer on agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the Organization.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of SDWR’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget ranging from $2.3 to $3.5 million dollars.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as SDWR’s primary spokesperson to the Organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and on a national level to utilize those relationships to strategically enhance SDWR’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Organization throughout the region, State and on a National level.
- Supervise, collaborate with Organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Capital campaign development, oversight, and initiation.
- Oversee Board meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services in conjunction with authorization by President.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Please fill out this preliminary application, resumes can be uploaded at the bottom of the application.
No phone calls will be accepted.